OCAD University students, along with all 650,000 post-secondary students in Ontario, will be invited to participate in the Student Voices on Sexual Violence Survey in February and March 2018. The survey is conducted by CCI Research on behalf of the government of Ontario.
The survey will give students in Ontario the opportunity to provide feedback on the topic of sexual violence on and around their campuses. Sexual violence includes sexual assault, sexual harassment, stalking, indecent exposure, voyeurism and sexual exploitation.
It will ask about your perspectives and experiences with:
- Unwanted sexual attention
- Consent for sexual activity
- Reactions to sexual harassment or sexual assault against yourself or others
- Support services addressing sexual violence at your institution
Participation in the survey is voluntary and students are able to opt out of completion of the survey at any time. It’s open to all full-time post-secondary undergraduate and graduate university, college, and private career college students who are 18 years of age and older.
The Student Voices on Sexual Violence survey was designed with broad consultation by the Ontario Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development’s Sexual Violence Reporting Advisory Committee, which includes members from federal and provincial student associations, violence against women researchers and community partners, the COU, and the Ontario Ministry of the Status of Women.
The survey’s goals are to help post-secondary institutions to:
- increase awareness of sexual violence
- increase awareness of services and support available to students who have experienced unwelcome sexual attention
- learn more about how students perceive those services
- improve policies and processes for responding to sexual violence
- improve services and support offered to survivors
- better understand student experiences of sexual violence
- better understand how bystanders in the campus community may react to harassment or assault
- better understand how students perceive consent to sexual activity
- reflect on social dynamics that contribute to sexual violence
OCAD University recognizes that participation in the survey may be upsetting and that students may require support through the process. The survey website makes support information available for participants throughout the survey. OCAD U provides students with sexual violence support through our Health & Wellness Centre, and this support continues to be available to any student who needs it throughout the survey period.
The survey website contains a comprehensive Frequently Asked Questions section that you’re encouraged to review if you have any questions.
We do hope you will participate in the Student Voices on Sexual Violence Survey if you are comfortable doing so. Invitations will be sent to eligible students by email later this month.