Starting from where the last iteration left off, there was a lot of feedback given that I had to consider. Things ranged from structure to code and even aesthetics. I decided to focus on three major aspects – Stability, Control, and Strength.
Strength – I knew I needed more stability but first I needed to make the structure much stronger. In the previous build, The strand material I was using kept digging into the foam structure I had made. I ended up using a piece of half-inch thick plywood and drilled holes in the corners.
Stability – The original build consisted of one central anchor point thus causing it to spin uncontrollably. This was a problem especially since I’m working with video. In order to fix this, I looked into different ways of stabilizing cameras and came to the conclusion that I need multiple anchor points and more weight.
In addition to having four strands supporting the phone at the base, I still wanted a better solution for attaching the phone to the rest of the slider. I attempted this by 3d printing a bracket that would glue to the phone case and be tied to the base structure. Unfortunately, The prints didn’t go as planned and I resulted in a half-finished 3d print. I was still able to make it work and used it in the final build as it was better than what I have before. That being said, I did create some mockups of what it would have looked like.
Failed 3D Print –
Control – This had solved the stability and strength issues, but I still wanted to control it. Since I was still sticking with only one DC motor I thought it would be a good idea to incorporate an on/off switch as well as a speed control dial. Once wired up, the motor will change direction every time I press the button and slow/speed up depending on the position of the potentiometer.
Videos – Click Here