Fútbol – An Interactive Experience
Michael Shefer – 3155884
Andrew Ng-Lun – 3164714
Brian Nguyen – 3160984
Francisco Samayoa – 3165936
For our narrative space we set out to create an environment of a soccer game using physical, visual, and audio installations. The installation was built like so: three pylon stations are spread across the ground accompanied with digital sensors, on top of the installation is a projection mapping of a field with visuals and animations. All the sound and visuals are controlled by the digital sensors. Once the player passes one of the pylon stations, they would press onto the switch which then would trigger an animation from the projector to lead the player onward as well as a variety of announcer recordings. This would continue on until the player would score a goal at the end of the installation. On top of all of this we also implemented a backdrop of crowd cheering audio samples through speakers. The purpose of this concept was to enthrall the participants in an intense soccer experience where their actions and movements would draw a reaction from a crowd and the announcers. The bright animated visuals and loud dynamic audio was intended to fill the participant with emotion.
A lot of work had to be done to create our narrative space and so we broke it down into three portions: audio, visual, and physical. For audio we set out to the recording studio because we wanted to use as much self-recorded material as we could. Mainly, we wanted to record commentary that would reflect the actions of the player whether they were to score a goal, miss a goal, or pass through the pylons. For this we brainstormed and created a brief script to follow.
After going through our recorded audio in the studio we decided that we wanted a variety of announcers for the narrative space so that the participants would not get tired of hearing the same voice over and over. Additionally, we discovered that improvising yielded more genuine commentary.
After having every member of the group finish their recordings we brought the audio files into FL Studio.With FL Studio, we were able to make changes to the audio files by altering them to resemble the sound of stadium commentary. Additionally, since we wanted to create a pool of commentary to be called upon at random, we had to cut our long studio recordings into short bits of phrases which we then organized in Maxuino.
For the physical portion of the installation we created a simple digital switch using cardboard and tin foil that would act as a pressure sensor. Two cardboard sheets with tinfoil on and conductive thread would be the main triggers for the audio and visuals.
Originally the tinfoil spanned most of the cardboard sheet but after a trial run we discovered that the data showed that the switches were constantly being completed when we didn’t intend them to so we had to alter the sizes and placement of the tinfoil as well as adding more space and resistance between them.
Since the placement of the tinfoil was centered we decided to add pylons on each side of the switch forcing the players to go over top the cardboard and press onto the centre in order to yield data. Addtionally, we had to add some changes to the goal post that contained the IR sensor. The IR sensor struggled to detect the ball no matter its speed when it went past the two posts we set up. If we tried to increase the sensitivity, the IR sensor would occasionally pick up the movement of the player instead. We quickly worked around this by placing a cone in the centre of the two posts that the player had to shoot for. With this, the IR sensor easily picked up the movement of the cone being struck and in turn triggered the celebratory goal animations and audio.
The visual aspect was created all in Photoshop along with sourced gifs. The animations consisted of the arrows that lead the player through the plyons and to the goal, the accompanying sourced gifs, and the flashing celebratory goal animations. Each phase of the installation was split into four videos. We constructed the presentation by projecting the field and it’s animations and placed the cardboard buttons and goal post accordingly. We had encountered issues with the visuals responding to the triggers. Although data was being read and transferred to trigger the animations, there was an occasional delay between the transitions of videos as the files were too large but manually triggering the transitions worked well.
Pictured above is the Maxuino patch used for organizing all the switches and their interactivity with the various commentary and visuals.
Documentation and Process Work