Michael Shefer – 3155884
Andrew Ng-Lun – 3164714
Brian Nguyen – 3160984
For the final assignment for Atelier 2 our group set out to revisit one of our very first assignments. Although we weren’t all initially in the same group, everyone enjoyed the approach to the concept of starfish and saw potential expanding on it. When tackling ideas on how to expand the initial project the group settled on interactivity amongst individuals. We exercised ideas where individuals would interact with the starfish and the environment as well as other people. Ultimately, we went back to the initial concept of generating a starfish and worked on creating an interactive aspect where individuals would be able to create their personalized starfish and add it to an archive of other people’s creations. The project operates as follows: on one screen, the individual would be able to alter physical properties of the starfish such as amount of legs, length of legs, thickness of the starfish, and colour. Along with that, users would be able to search any image they want and it would be textured mapped over the starfish. Once the creation is done, the user would send the starfish onto a second screen that holds all previously user generated starfish.
When approaching the project we prioritized expanding on previous attempts, concepts, and limitations and wanted to rebuild the project as a new experience. It went as far as completely removing the starfish aspect and focusing on generating and interactivity. Ultimately, we continued with the generator and focused on implementing previous suggestions.
The first Starfish generator prototype used Pubnub to link all the various screens together but for our attempt we utilized Firebase to help us archive all the user generated starfish which eventually appeared on our aquarium. The different screens such as the generator itself and the final display screen of the aquarium operated as websites of their own from Github. One of the previous limitations with the starfish generator was the lack of customization since users were only able to select from a small array of options. To expand on this we provided the user with the capability of searching an image to work as the texture of the Starfish. Using Google images (along with WebGL), the first image would be selected and then mapped over the starfish as a texture. Additionally, we opted on using sliders instead of a selection of options to provide users with even more variation of values. This gave the users a more variation and freedom with their creations.
With the customization built we also worked on adding life to our 2D objects by incorporating animations to the starfish. Once archived and added to the aquarium, the starfish travel at random but with a noise added on to mimic organic movement from starfish. Although we did experiment with adding other functions such as sin onto the starfish, we settled on noise simply because of how we constructed the object. Other explorations saw us attempting to use bezier curves to construct the starfish but we ran into similar complications because of how we built the inner and outer radius of the starfish.
Finally, the background was created within Photoshop and since we were using WebGL we also had to map the PNG of the aquarium over a plane to work as our canvas background.
Explorations and Challenges
Although the final build resembled what we had initially drafted out on paper, we weren’t able to incorporate all our ideas either due to limitations or complications.
We wanted to emphasize interactivity with our generated starfish by allowing either the user to name their starfish or, similar to the previous prototype build, give the starfish a scientific name. Then, once in the aquarium, users would be able to hover over any starfish and see its designated name. Unfortunately, since WebGL was such an integrated part in the programming, it limited our capabilities with text.