Shiloh Light-Barnes – 3162824 – Adam Tindale – DIGF – 2004 – 001
Track Tiles is a one-week game jam that I created for our class prototype assignment. I wrote the game in C# using the Unity3D game engine and designed the art assets in Illustrator CC. The game is an endless runner themed, single tap mobile game that takes place over an infinity long span of train tracks. Once the game begins, squares of these tracks spawn in a predetermined path along the screen. However, the track pieces are rotated randomly – leaving it up to the player to keep the train from crashing. As the game progresses the player must tap on track pieces to rotate them in such a way that the train will continue to ride forward. As of now, players can collect stars along the way and notice their score increase. In the future, I would hope to add additional track types, power-ups, more obstacles, and cosmetic items.
In terms of context, my assignment was very much a solo venture. The Idea came to me while I was thinking of a game that is complex enough to keep the player stimulated yet simple enough that It can be played with a single tap. Track Tiles was also inspired by a previous (nameless) game that I have in development. Some of the code was actually directly used – the ninety-degree turn mechanic and tap detection code mainly. However, a majority of Track Tiles was inspired by my own thoughts and ideas, and online forums that helped me move past some difficult aspects of the project – All of which I have linked below.
Post Presentation Thoughts:
After showing the project to the class, first impressions were mostly positive. Many players found the game much too hard at the beginning, and never saw a score that they were proud of. However, almost everyone that played immediately hit the “retry” button. This was interesting because I’ve made and demoed games before, but never received this behavior so strongly. I believe the higher difficulty actually drew the player in, rather than repelling them. Interesting as that may be, I will be lowering the difficulty of the game at the beginning, and then increasing train speed and adding double tracks later on. Overall, I’m very happy with how the project turned out and I will surely continue to work on it into the future.
Link To Github Project: