The Condor is a new method for communicating. Our goal is to present an offering that is geared toward taking time to slow down and connect with others through symbolism and poetry. Users can experience the joy of poetry and abstract thinking while being gently persuaded to take a breath and enjoy the present moment.
Watch the walkthrough. Or visit the website.
Our influence comes from the Birds on the Wing a Victorian children’s book about birds. The book references the strength and freedom of the Condor, who battles the storm to get to it’s nest. By applying this theme to our own experience, not as birds but as artists and designers, we concluded that the Condor is a good representation of expecting to have to work hard to get where we are going and constantly push ourselves to do better than we were before.
Our multiplayer experience had many iterations and we had to pivot the functionality to better suit our time constraints and coding abilities. Tae has been instrumental in organizing the home page of our site, and performing an exploratory foray into Unity. Doris’s talents as an artist gave her the confidence to take on responsibility for all the graphics, diagrams and characters from the book. Marquessa has built the in-game code, future projection prototype in XD, and the copy.
Player Interaction Diagram
We simplified the interaction for this project. We do believe that it is possible to incorporate many users into the experience.
To start the experiment we decided that it would be good to at least try to explore different avenues of what is possible.
During this experiment, Tae focused on creating a mechanism to move a bird character with the arrow keys. Although we quickly found that the time constraint was to restrictive to build a matching character to our book.
HTML, JS, CSS Experiments:
The group decided that we were going to go with the 3rd concept from our previous assignment, a slow communication experience. We started out with something that looked like this:
We took the bird characters from the book and linked them to the individual canvases. (With a moderate amount of success.)
In this photo, we are beginning to organize the canvas and background.
Our initial work in progress looked something like this video. While we appreciated the abstract birds, the location, pace of the scrolling text, and a few other tweaks weren’t quite right.
After the feedback, we modified the canvas to be more aesthetically positioned. We also played with the grid, size, and pattern.
It took the full experiment to get here. But through much discussion, videos, phone-a-friends, and successes – we made it!
We are very proud of the result. It has a very strong visual language and relates to our own experience through this experiment. We are all the Condor.
Quick demo video here.
Our goal was to create a shared canvas that users could bring sections of the poem into the experience, which could then be reordered to create a new meaning and message to an old poem.
As of right now, we were not able to accomplish this goal. With more time and a better understanding of how to express our ideas in code – we believe that we could produce something like this XD prototype.
P5 Web Editor Link for Experience:
Pastebin Link for Homepage:
Tae Nim (3170229)
Marquessa MacKenzie (3174722)
Doris Gao (3175995)