Final Shader Assignment

1

Video Link:https://youtu.be/Nu45GQl3WM

Introduction:

For this final assignment, I created an island and then added a bit of vegetation to the island and added ground, grass and sand textures to the ground. I’m more interested in things that have a realistic feel, so I made shaders that are on the realistic side, like ground and rock textures.

4 3 25

I did all the materials for the island in Substance Designer, and I spent most of my time working on the materials.

Process:

Grass_Ground Shader

twig_add-wood-texture

ground-7-%ef%bc%88pebbles%ef%bc%89final-ground-height

Sand Shader

pebbles sand-clumps sand-ripple

Grass Shader

grass grass2 %e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e6%88%aa%e5%9b%be-2022-04-27-110202

Rock Shader

rock-final rock-1 rock-2

Unity Process

terrain %e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e6%88%aa%e5%9b%be-2022-04-28-055046

 

 

Week 08 Homework

%e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e6%88%aa%e5%9b%be-2022-04-10-194738

For the week08 assignment, I tried to use Substance Designer to make some materials. Like a grainy wall and a mud floor. My model is from https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-statuette-sheep-barrel-model-1335035. I imported the model into Substance Designer first and then mapped and changed the roughness and metallic level of the model. I then imported the model into unity after I had mapped it and changed the roughness and metal level to make it look more realistic.

%e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e6%88%aa%e5%9b%be-2022-04-10-182803 %e5%b1%8f%e5%b9%95%e6%88%aa%e5%9b%be-2022-04-10-193717

Later I created the wall and floor materials in Substance Designer. For the floor I used different noises and then blended them, it was interesting to explore and I intend to explore Substance Designer further in the Final Project.

 

 

Midterm Assignment

screen-shot-2022-03-27-at-7-20-07-pmscreen-shot-2022-03-27-at-7-19-59-pm

screen-shot-2022-03-27-at-7-29-23-pmscreen-shot-2022-03-27-at-7-20-41-pm

https://editor.p5js.org/zqxr1105/sketches/JPiw0RjAg

For this midterm assignment, I created four different shaders and set them to music, when the music starts the shader will play along with the music. The four shaders will switch and loop according to the rhythm of the music. I was inspired by the abstract watercolour, I thought the blending of colours looked interesting and the watercolour looked like a way to find order in the chaos.

For two of the shaders I used the noise function to draw the basic shape of the shader, then smoothstep and a series of calculations to get the watercolour I wanted. Then I use the if-else function to plot the time and length of each shader that appears.

One of the bigger difficulties I encountered in the production process was calculating the function and how to make my pattern look smooth and have a watercolour feel. In the process of creating my fourth shader, at first, I used the step function and it didn’t look smooth, then I used smoothstep, but then I found that the return parameter made the pattern look like a lot of squares, and then I modified the parameters to achieve the water ripple effect.

 

Week3 Homework

screen-shot-2022-02-25-at-10-28-55-pm screen-shot-2022-02-28-at-7-07-01-pm

Shader #1                                                             Shader #2

Code #1                                                                 Code#2

This week I focused on the movement of shapes, using different functions to make the shapes have different trajectories. In the first Shader, I used mix() to multiple layer shapes and used cos() and sin() to change the trajectory and shape of the shapes by different calculations. In Shader#2, I used rotated2D, sin() and cos() to rotate all the shapes to an angle and then rotate them again.

Week 2 Homewrok

screen-shot-2022-02-16-at-4-15-01-pmscreen-shot-2022-02-16-at-7-44-31-pm

Gradient #1                                                       Gradient #2

Code                                                                     Code

By experimenting with the above image, I first used Smoothstep () to set a basic range, then I calculated the shape of the jaggedness by using the Mod() function, then by further calculating in the R and G channels to get six stepped rectangles. It was a very interesting experience, but at the same time, the complexity of the functions bothered me. For Gradient #2 I used the dot() to set a range, and then set the u_mouse data so that mouse movement on the graph would change its contrast and color