For my final assignment, I used a couple of applications that were taught in class. The cubes that are shown have a material I made through substance designer, named concrete, at first I thought about what shapes and other aspects I should use to make them. Then I about how animated shows make cubes for easier animation and shading, I utilized particles effects in unity engine to vary the size and rotation for the cubes, I also use that for the swirl effect that is shown. The center includes unity shader graph mostly using a sphere model along with a fresnel, the distortion is kind of hard to see within the still image but this makes use of the shader graph as well using the UVs to make a transparent distortion. During the presentation, it will be described greater in-depth
The first part of the process was to find references on how to make an efficient PBR material which was pretty difficult to do. So this project is my attempt to make one from scratch with the knowledge I have. First I found some references for concrete and I started from there, the graph is pretty simple only using some noise, blends, and slopes to put it all together. then simply applying it to metallic, roughness, AO, etc. to make it more like concrete I had to raise the height slightly for some grime and raise the roughness
Sorry about the small image but this is what I decided to do for testing some of the materials in unity, normally I work on vfx so I make my own materials and textures in the engine so it was not a foreign concept to me. I didnt do anything too complicated just changed the original material for the walls from green to gray, and the ball in the middle was a cement pole so I ended up changing it to a metal graffiti ball with a yellow tint.
This is how it would look without any editing.
At first, I was unsure of what to do for the midterm I was trying out a bunch of code between turning the camera into a grid or animating it but it all seemed too little. eventually, I looked over the tutorials and saw blending an image with your camera and that’s when an idea struck me. If I were to use the colour and shapes from previous assignments and merge it with the video from the camera, the shapes will not only modify the video but will also change the colour.
The code mainly uses offset in the display.frag file to move and morph the video with the image with the help of texCoordinate. I did want to try adding generateGrid and randomGrid to the sketch however when attempting to put the code in different areas for a couple of hours I then decided to stick with my original concept. The current code checks if the mouse is pressed with the function mousePressed () after pressing the display it will turn fullscreen, after the code checks your mouse’s position with uMousePosition and allows you to move and morph the display in a prefered direction. The code works exceptionally when there is more colour, colour and light in the room as when the video picks this up and merges it with the shape image more detailed designs go into it, and vice versa. The video also picks up the shapes of the image and changes whatever is in your camera to match them which I find particularly interesting. Getting screenshots of the changes is pretty difficult so click the link above if you wish to see it.
I used inspiration from my week two assignment and merged it with this one. From the slides, I based it on the warm-cool contrast. This assignment takes me back to my first year in my colour theory class and allowed me to test a couple of different contrasts which I enjoyed.
For the first gradient I didnt really do too much I just wanted to explore colour and see what I could do while using reference and while exploring I decided to turn the gradient using mix() on its y instead of x like the normal example