Week 10 – Homework

Week 10

Changing the textures of an existing 3D model within Substance Designer was really tricky for me. Initially, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to import the 3D object file into the 3D Substance Designer, there didn’t seem to be any options under the ‘File’ and ‘3D view’ sections to import .fbx or .obj files, until I realized that I was just required to drag and drop the downloaded file into the screen in order for it to load. I ended up working on the design graph before importing the 3D model into the scene, initially, the design I was creating was perfectly projecting itself onto both the 2D and 3D view, although importing the 3D model of the tree halfway through caused the design to stop displaying on the 3D view section of the workspace. I ended up creating a dirt-like design that only displayed through the 2D view.


Week 9: Homework

Week 9

In order to complete this assignment, I looked through a variety of youtube videos that I thought I could try and recreate. I made attempts in recreating a few longer tutorials, although found myself getting extremely lost at certain points, so I decided to watch through the reference provided in the week 9 homework posting for the Procedural Tree Bark by Adobe until I got a better general understanding of the functions and structures of each node in relation to how they contribute and influence the final output. After doing so, I took my try at recreating a stylized snow design by Poly Doorway: https://youtu.be/2TotJ5_JtL8?list=PL5WsVKipEuGzNYjOJAzLGDsyCHlAB7F3B


There were some aspects I decided not to include in my own design, and made a few changes as I went along with the video and experimented with the different functions that they brought into their own work.

Week 8: Homework

Week 8
For this assignment, I wanted to create a small diorama box inspired by nature. I downloaded a variety of 3D models from https://free3d.com/. I’m not entirely familiar with working within Unity, especially when it comes to retexturing or changing the visuals of pre-built models considering that I typically focused on the experience of sculpting 3D models in previous courses. That said, I struggled with applying photorealistic textures that I downloaded from freepbr.com. I found that I would be able to download and import the textures into the scene, as well as apply the textures onto the individual parts of each model, although the actual detailing wouldn’t apply in the official rendered sketch of the scene. I tried playing around with the lighting and material settings of each texture that I downloaded and imported, although they all seemed to have the same problem. I will have to look back and rework integrating the downloaded textures into the scenes, as the process in which I applied these textures aren’t functioning as intended.

In this scene, I tried to implement a variety of tree bark textures, rock textures, leaf textures and snow textures. I have included a few of the texture images below.


Week 4: Homework

Using p5.js was a new experience for me, similarly to how I started out writing our shader codes in The Book of Shaders Editor, I had to visit a variety of sources to brush up on the basic concepts of creating code on p5.js and how to set up a sketch to be eligible to perform the tasks I require it to execute. I gained a lot of help from the p5.js reference to understand how to use a variety of the functions that were available to use.


For this work, I used a photo of a compilation of quick sketches from a different class and wanted to recolor and reconstruct the image so that it appears overly distorted. In order to do this, I repeatedly manipulated the pixels, changing their rgba values and utilizing shaping functions including sine, cosine, and square root.


Midterm Assignment


Project Link: https://editor.p5js.org/camilleubay123/full/YiIq1E7Me

For this project, I experimented a bit with createcapture(), and animating the live video feed with filter(DILATE), sin(), rectMode(RADIUS), lerp(). I pulled inspiration from various assets from Minecraft. Initially, I was inspired by the colorful Minecraft terracotta blocks, which lead me to explore the functions of Minecraft Sculk sensors that were released in the Warden 1.19 update. I was drawn towards the concept of the blocks changing colors and their animations whenever movement was detected within the nearby radius of the block. As a result, I created this piece of a gradient layered under an array of animated rectangles that change in size based on the movement from the live video feed.