Excessive use of eyes leads to a variety of eye problems, which not only affects our health, but also reduces our work efficiency. You need to take a few seconds blinking eyes or looking out of window in very 30 minutes using computer. ComputerMate is a smart computer chair cushion that help you developing a healthy lifestyle. All you need to do is to plug smart computer chair cushion in the power supply. A popup window will send you notifications and play relaxed music, eye, exercise video, or stretching exercise video. If you just close the window, computer send you another notification in (every) 5 minutes.
People nowadays are dependent on computers. However, the use of computers affects a human’s well-being. When we enjoy the infinite space given by computer and network, we pay the price of health unconsciously. Using computer more than three hours a day would have some impact our eyes, arms, shoulders, cervical spine, lumbar spine, skin, hair with varying degrees.
Worst Common Health Problems Caused by Computer Use：
- Muscle Problems
- Vision Problems
- Repetitive Stress Injury
People may know that computers are harmful to their health in so many ways, but when they are actually using computers (chatting with friends, working, playing games，or production), they will forget that they need half an hour to get up, walk, move their bodies and do some eye exercises.
Smart computer chair cushion
Use the push button as the sensor. When the doctor recommends using the computer, look at the distance every 20 minutes; Stand up and stretch every 30 minutes. My idea is to replace Arduino micro board to have wireless wifi environment with feather. There are a lot of challenges for this project. See the chart below.
Directly connected to power.
People don’t need to open url (a new window) to get the reminder.
“stand up and stretch.”
“It time to do eye exercises.”
|4||Link to online resources
Guide people to watch eye exercises video, relaxed music, or fitness video
If you just close the window, computer send you another notification in 5 minutes.
|If condition code|
Measure and record resistance of all materials with a multimeter.
We made our touch sensor in class:
It was very easy to make. We have tutorial link in class slide. It looks very simple, but my sensor wasn’t working at first, because two pads accidentally connect to each other. The resistor works like a divider, that completely separate those two conductive thread on those two pads.
(Touch sensor we made in class)
Our assignment is to find consistent data for each resistors by following the same procedure. Every material’s resistance was different. We ran 3 tests for each materials and fill out the form.
(Material bag in class)
1: Connect material to the ohm meter.
2: Read the values on the ohm meter.
Pick out a random resistor and set the multimeter to the 20kΩ setting. Then hold the probes against the resistor legs with the same amount of pressure you when pressing a key on a keyboard.
The meter will read one of three things, 0.00, 1, or the actual resistor value.
- If the multimeter reads 1, it’s overloaded. We need to try a higher mode. There is no harm if this happen, it simply means the range knob needs to be adjusted.
- If the multimeter reads 0.00 or nearly zero, then you need to lower the mode.
3: Count 30 seconds and read the values on the ohm meter again.
Measuring resistance of a device while it is physically installed in a circuit can be very tricky. The surrounding components on a circuit board can greatly affect the reading.
(Measure and record resistance of all materials with a multimeter)
Measure and record sensor values of all materials with voltage divider circuit and Arduino.
(Arduino example code)
I used the press sensor I made in class to test the example Arduino code. The code is very simple. I opened the serial monitor and see the change of pressure(the change of resistor).
Create a Body-Centric Sensor Design, focusing on sensor construction and sensor calibration.
- Mouse pad x 2
- Electric conductive fabric
- Econyx pressure sensing fabric
- Glue gun
(New press sensor I made for this project)
(Place the sensor inside the seat cushion)
- At first, I don’t know how to read multimeter. The meter will read one of three things, 0.00, 1, or the actual resistor value. If the multimeter reads 1, it’s overloaded. We need to try a higher mode. There is no harm if this happen, it simply means the range knob needs to be adjusted.If the multimeter reads 0.00 or nearly zero, then you need to lower the mode.
- The sensor I made in class was not working because two pads accidentally connect to each other. The resistor works like a divider, that completely separate those two conductive thread on those two pads.
- I don’t know how to choose right resistor for Arduino board. The slide has very specific and clear explanation.
Besides that, everything went smoothly.
- Information sources: none
I don’t have any other additional source for this project.
- Next Steps: I haven’t finished challenge 2 and 5 listed above.