For this workshop I played and experimented the Eeonyx stretch sensing fabric to send messages to processing and activate certain commands. I wanted to create switch operations when the fabric was stretched out or not.
Originally, I was going to experiment with the Eeonyx StaTex Conductive Fibre and create a visualization of rain. When the conductive fabric was squeezed the rain would appear in the sketch. Holding something grey and soft like fibre reminded me of a rain cloud so I thought I’d try this idea. However I lacked materials and time so I went with the stretchy fabric route and would attempt the former later.
Here’s my workshop notes on a couple of the fabrics change of resistance I got to explore:
I used the AnalogOutSerial code from Arduino to get the values from the stretchy fabric. Whenever I stretched the fabric its resistance would change by one number. I wanted to translate this data to a processing sketch and change the background when the number changes.
Unfortunately this idea was much more difficult to execute then I realized. The sensor was really finicky and caused the background to flash when I stretched my sensor.
I tried this again with the touch pad sensor. The values were much more responsive when I touched it but I got the same finicky problem in Processing.
I also notice the change of resistance value would never be the same number when I closed the processing sketch. Sometimes it would go below or jump to a high number so my if statements would not work and I would have to change the numbers.
Wether I had used the wrong code or was not filtering the data properly to get an on/of digital affect with analog data, I wish to explore the resistance of change with fabrics further and possibly create other scenarios and prototypes.
My explorations with the heart pulse sensor lead me to creating a low-fidelity prototype of e-cards!
I wanted to explore data transferring between both the Arduino IDE software and Processing using the pulse sensor. The idea of using pulse sensory data to create an intimate and personal interaction sparked my interest in how I could create this sweet savoury like project/prototype.
I sketched out what I wanted to do step by step on paper. First, I was going to setup and play around with the pulse sensor in Arduino to see how it worked and how the examples provided in the playground sensor library was tracking my heart rate. I followed the instructions from the pulse sensor’s website to help me set up.
I was able to successfully set up the pulse sensor and started playing around with the example sketches in the Arduino IDE.
This setup and serial data is from the PulseSensor_BPM code in the pulse playground library. I made a new file called Heart Beat and added the syntax line “Serial.write(myBPM)” to send the data over to processing.
I then sent this data over to a processing sketch, opened the port and placed the incoming data in an ellipse’s properties to manipulate its shape.
I later applied this manipulation to an image:
My incoming BPM would cause the image to appear on the screen every time the sensor read my heart beat. I later had some fun and thought this would be a cute valentine e-card.
For future works I’d like to take this sort of concept online so long distant lovers could send over in-real time e-cards of their partner’s heart beats. This could also be implemented in webcam calls or on common online canvases.
Strategy: I set out to create a soothing melody necklace that plays a lullaby when you push the pendant.
Originally I had planned this for ttc commuters but commuters usually use earphones, reading or other ways to separate themselves from the chaos around them when it comes to transit.
Therefore, after the mix and mingle word exercise I thought why not make a necklace that soothes the soul and those around them. Why not make a soothing lullaby necklace? This wearable would be great for new moms and their newborns when trying to get them to sleep putting both parties at ease.
For first initial steps, I used the french knitting technique followed by the conductive button approach. The front part of the necklace’s medallion would act as a trigger, so when closed the necklace would lit up and play a lullaby through the speaker.
I started sketching out my design and trying to figure out the appropriate circuits:
I made two french knitted chains to connect to the battery and LED :
Then I decided to just test my circuit on the left with an LED using a push button technique.
The conductive button technique wasn’t working for me because my circuit based on the picture above, I was clearly connecting my negative (blue french knit chain), with the power side of my power bracelet. However even though that was the case, the design at this stage was messy and I didn’t like it.
So I retreated to using the button technique with just the button clips to complete the circuit.
Insights: Since the other techniques didn’t seem to suit my necklace idea, I didn’t focus on experimenting and trying out two techniques as required. I focused solely on the functionality of a on and off switch based necklace. The circuit itself, was very very simple. This isn’t bad for a first start but I did miss out on trying and experimenting other techniques such as the pinch or conductive button methods. (and my poor power battery is no more because of this experiment…)
Information sources: I didn’t use any external sources other than the tutorials given in class.
I’d like to try out other techniques and see where exciting outputs I can make or conduct with this.
Making a pinch sensor for the fingers that activates the light when it touches the medallion could be a next step I’d like to explore.
I would try and make this much neater incorporate actual sound in the next phase.