Since this pdf package was made i have since damaged the sweater. Now in an effort to experiment with as to why i can’t seem to have full voltage to all the LEDS, or illuminate all 4 when in a series circuit I increased the voltage. The increase of 6 volts then broke the LEDs but that leads me to believe that i need to add more resistance to the LED. Over the summer i will be experimenting more with the process of using 3D printing to create wearable devices and hopefully i’ll be able to showcase my work with craft Ontario.
sorry about the blur, you can download the pdf from this link i
I went into this project knowing that I wanted to take the opportunity to create something that could be worn by migrants, the impoverished, and others who don’t have a permanent place in the world. I decided to make a coat that can be used as a tent for when no other shelter is available. The garment includes a strip LED that runs down the back of the coat’s hood and arm, and down one side of the tent (when it’s in each position). There is a soft switch located strategically so it can be seen on the outside of the coat sleeve, or on the inside of the tent, depending on which state the garment is in. If this garment were ever produced commercially, I would want it to be powered by solar panels, which I think would be the most practical and economical (not to mention environmentally-friendly), which addresses the “speculative” part of the assignment.
Fabric, tulle (King Textiles) to better disperse the LED lights
Fabric, muslin (King Textiles) to construct the pattern
Fabric, vinyl (Fabricland) for the prototype and final model
1/4″ 16g steel tubing (OCAD U) for the tent poles
Bungee cord (King Textiles) to hold together the tent poles
Strip LED (Creatron) LEDXF-006105
9V battery (Creatron) BATTA-160449
Battery snaps (Creatron) BATTH-900010
Conductive thread (Creatron) LILYP-010867
45″ zipper x 2 (King Textiles) for the sleeves
White thread (King Textiles)
As you can see, the garment works as intended with the prototype, but the patterning fabric (muslin) wasn’t strong enough to maintain the tent shape in the life-size version. This is obviously something I would have to address if the garment were ever produced commercially, but I think double-layering the vinyl and including tent poles along the bottom edges of the garment would work to solve the problem.
My brother agrees that it’s pretty neat and practical!
<– but a little too tall (he’s 6’4″)
For this project i chose to focus on a dystopian future narrative where the character that wears this helmet is an alien life form. This character survives off of the energy of other life forms by sucking the life out of them. The alien uses the helmet to suck up energy through the laser on the left of the helmet and the energy flowing is portrayed through the EL wire lighting.
I first started out with a foam head to draft the helmet pattern by applying tape and cutting out the parts to transfer over to the EVA foam.
I then glued the foam parts together and heat formed the parts to create the curves.
After several trials i managed to achieve the right shape.
afterwards i applied battle damage and metallic paint.
lastly I installed the lighting and laser.
This is my submission project, hopefully there will be more to show soon