Final Project: The Hush Clip

Hello Everyone!

Project Title: The Hush Clip

Concept:

For my final project I had started with a pretty ambitious concept to create a visual translation of your voice on an LED panel that would be attached to your body in some way. As I am very inexperienced with the programming and software needed to accomplish this, I had to abandon this concept and go with something similar.

I opted to design an attachable accessory that based on the volume of your voice, would turn on a red light if it became to loud. The idea is that you are given a greater awareness of yourself when you are in a heated conversation or argument.

Intended Scenario: This product is intended for anyone who wants to be more aware of themselves in social situations but not have someone remind them to “hush”. Instead this product does that for the user. When the users voice gets too loud, the red LED comes on to let the user know they are being too loud.

Context: I found some inspiration from my previous product relating to communication of your feelings through other modes other than physical gestures. This got me thinking a lot about awareness of others and of ourselves. I also received a lot of inspiration, form wise, from self tracking devices such as Striiv’s Play Smart Pedometer.

Parts & Materials: Materials include:

  • Lilypad Arduino
  • Sound sensor
  • 3V lithium battery and battery holder
  • Red LED
  • Resistor for LED
  • Power switch
  • Wire

Challenges & Successes: There were many a challenges with this project. Beginning with me being unable to figure out my first concept. When I finally decided to simplify I only had a week left before the project was due so I left myself very little time to complete the project. I had never soldered before so that was definitely a challenge but I ended up being able to conquer that and came out of it with a well soldered circuit. The next challenge was to create a container that holds the circuit and is small enough to clip to your shirt and not be bulky. I started off with a birch plywood square shape with the space cut out inside to hold the circuit and a clip on the back. This proved not to be the most pleasing container. The other challenge is that the serial read from the sound senor is very erratic so it was hard to set the “if” values. I think this is due to the nature of the sensor and the fact that no one’s voice is a steady volume.

Next Steps: My next step is to make a more pleasing form to hold the circuit and to get the sensor to work properly.

Circuit sketch or diagram:

CIRCUIT DIAGRAM

Code:

int sensorPinsound = A2;                 // Arm sensor is connected to analog pin 2
int ledPinred = 9;                     // Red LED is connected to digital pin 9
int sensorValuesound = 0;   // variable to store the value coming from the Arm sensor

void setup()  
{

  pinMode(ledPinred, OUTPUT);         // sets the ledPinred to be an output
  pinMode(sensorPinsound, INPUT);       // sets the sound sensor to be an input
  digitalWrite(ledPinred, LOW);       // turn the red LED off
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop()                 // perform actions if conditions are met
{
  sensorValuesound = analogRead (sensorPinsound);
  Serial.println(sensorValuesound);  

if (sensorValuesound >= 900 )
{ digitalWrite(ledPinred, LOW);
}                           // if the sound sensor is greater than , then the red LED turns on

else
{ digitalWrite (ledPinred, HIGH);
}           // if the sound sensor is less than , then the red LED turns off

}

Description of your process:

1. Brainstormed concepts

2. Did basic research online of existing products

3. Figured out what materials were needed

4. Planned out the circuit

5. Created code in Arduino

6. Tested circuit and code with alligator clips

7. Brainstormed and sketched out accessory design

8. Soldered circuit together

9. Retested circuit and code, but had trouble getting it to work that time

10. Using forcener drill bit and hand tools I cut out the holes in a piece of wood, needed to fit the circuit.

11. This is as far as I got because of the issues I ran into with the sensor not working and also due to the lack of time I gave myself to complete the project

Visual documentation of the project:

Wearables Final Project Image Documentation

THANKS!

 

 

Comments are closed.