A Visualization of Motion Over Time

Recently I’ve been really fascinated by the idea of making something intangible have substance in the physical world. Although this may seem rather ambiguous, this visualization by Odaibe, a Polish designer/artist, is a good example of this idea.

The bodily movements of a drummer is a performance in itself. “Portrait of the Ghost Drummer” tracks the movement of the drum sticks over time and maps the structure of each beat. And with the 3-D camera effect, you can really visualize the ghost drummer.┬áThis video demonstrates how something you can’t see (movement over time) could become a visually engaging and informative graphic.

Source

This entry was posted in Articles and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

7 Comments

1. John Michael McLaughlin
    Posted January 22, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

I’d love to see this guys info graphic:

It’s an interesting process/idea but not something I’ve really considered before. I’m curious to know what benefits/applications you see in this method? Artistic? Instructive? Therapeutic? Or simply documentary?

2. Michael Linnik
    Posted January 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Crazy movement choices make him stand out from his own band. Looses unity because of that. Does create some interest in the performance. I guess this can be seen as artistic, it probably is a good outlet for the guy, and is probably strongly seen as just crazy.

3. Vaso Vukovic
    Posted January 22, 2012 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

I agree with John. It could be nice to hear about other applications.

4. Sally Chan
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

John, thanks for the link! The drummer thinks he’s an internet sensation and branded himself as The Mad Drummer (http://www.themaddrummer.com/mdhome.htm)! Pretty funny I think…

Essentially this is just motion tracking technology applied into a motion graphic. Possibilities are endless. But to me I think it would be most valuable as a tool for data collection (ie. healthcare equipment).

5. Jocelyn Cheung
    Posted January 24, 2012 at 4:05 am | Permalink

This is essentially an example of data visualization. We may be more familiar with methods like pie charts, histograms or line charts. In this particular example, putting motions into visuals seem abstract, and serve nth more then aesthetic purposes. I like to think that we often underestimate what statistics can do. It is so easy to find databases but these information are often misinterpreted.

Visualizing bodily movements can be used in numerous places as Sally have mentioned. Dancers, athletes, recovering patients, putting their data in the right place (pairing one set of data to another set of data) and we will be able find patterns and eventually solve problems. (product design, training program, evaluation,etc,etc)

You will see what I mean if you check this video out. You dont know what the data is capable of telling you until you experiment with it. http://www.ted.com/talks/david_mccandless_the_beauty_of_data_visualization.html

6. Dongwhee Cho
    Posted January 24, 2012 at 11:55 am | Permalink

To me, this feels like it could be a good use for TV advertisement for headphones, mp3 players, or music-related entertainment. The video right now is as John said, “artistic,” in my view. If this artwork could be designed to have purpose and function, I think it could be more meaningful to the viewers.

7. Michael Linnik
    Posted January 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

I missed the original post on this. Now it all makes sense to see the mad drummer link, sorry. So a very enthusiastic drummer would create a beautiful digital output in this style which could be used in shows or to create cover art for the band records, posters, etc. It is data visualization looking at sketch drawings of motion. I think watching this animation along with the music can strengthen the music and compared to some randomly put together music video.

The branding of this individual is interesting. We’re living in a time where people can become famous form youtube and continue to build on that.

Use of this service is governed by the IT Acceptable Use and Web Technologies policies.
Privacy Notice: It is possible for your name, e-mail address, and/or student/staff/faculty UserID to be publicly revealed if you choose to use OCAD University Blogs.