For this project i wanted to explore the aspect of signalling the surrounding people. For everyday use I commute to OCAD so the public interaction is an unavoidable aspect of everyday life. I really want a can system that signals the people around me if i am interested in interacting with them or not.
So here i introduced the signal shirt. I wanted to wear this shirt in a public space, but since it is so cold here I decided to first experiment on a smaller scale on everyday shirt. This process can be incorporated with a jacket in winter so it can be used in both weathers.
Here i first experimented with circuit and circuit types that would be best for this shirt.
I tried to best use that circuit in a 3D format that can better work with the shirt.
Just to take extra precaution since crocheting is a long process i needed to make extra sure that the circuit was working just the way i wanted it to.
Here is the shirt that i intend to use. It is a knit shirt that makes the crocheting easy to to the shirt itself.
I cut the shirt into 2 pieces. so that i can crochet in the conductive thread inbetween the 2 pieces.
The bottom piece is further cut into. So here is where the circiut lights will be placed. The cutting is done to both front and back side so that if in future i want to take the lightings at the back of the shirt if i want the signals to be seen at the back.
I started the first line of crochet to the top part of the shirt.
Here I started to add the conductive thread to the crochet with a single line of crochet so that it reduces that length of the conductive thread.
Here is the full crochet done after the condcutive thread so now i can attach this part to the bottom part.
I started to attach the 2 parts together now.
Here the crochet got alittle jumbled together. So I had to redo it to make the fabric more aligned to the crocheting.
Here is what the piece looks like when the 2 pieces are attached.
The conductive thread, while crocheting I had parts left out so that I can add the other circuit parts later onwards.
I had to crochet it on top of the allready crocheted part.
Now i started to fill in the bottom parts where the circuits parts will be placed. It starts of like before, first row is the crochet line followed by the conductive thread and then the simple crochet, followed by the condctive thread again and lastly the simple crochet to attach to the other end of the fabric.
I started to experiement with the magnets for the necklase switch that completes the circuit. Here I used the magnetic tape.
To test the magnetic strength I used a 25 cents coin.
Here the other magnet was the coin magnet that did not have the strength to hold the coin.
So using the magnetic tape I cut out a smaller coin to attach to the coin, which has an adhesive side.
Now addeing copper tape to the coin to make it all condcutive. Back view
Magnetic tape attcahed to the coin.
Back to the crocheting.
Here is the view of the Finished frontal part.
The condcutive thread that are hanging are goin to be used to attach the parts to the crochet.
The back view of the crochet part is plain but has potential to be used later on if I want to experiment with it.
On the othee hand my old shirt has lots of holes at the bottom part.
Just to make the shirt more pleasing to look at I filled in thw holes with crochet as well. So now i can wear this shirt in public.
Before stiching in the lights and battery I wanted to test that the lights worked.
Unfortunetly the ciruit would not work with the top part but the bottom part light would work.
The problem was the amount of conductive thread that i used that went around the shirt. That created alot of resistance. So here I am taking all the condcutive thread out from the top belt. I ended up taking 9feet of extra condcutive thread out.
The left over condcutive thread is used crocheting it ontop of the crochet which uses up less conductive thread.
But now both light turn on.
So I had to rewire the condcutive thread. I ended up separating the 2 light circuits and reconnecting them to the on both side of teh battery.
Now the lights only light up when the condcutive thread of each circuit is connected.
Here is a close up view of rewiring the circuit, all the crochet connections are on the outside.
As for the Adding the switch it is placed in the necklace that i attached to the top of teh shirt acting like a necklace.
The magnetic tape on the shirt had to be replaced from a circle to a rectangle since it was muc stronger and could hold the necklace in place.
The Coin that acts like the switch was not working even after several tries of raising the copper tape and stiching in more conductive thread. Lastly I had to rip the condcutive thread so it created a rough texture surface that can connect to the coin to complete circuit.
The magnet i strong and holds the necklace.
Here is a video that shows the social shirt in action.
This video shows when the red light in ON the people around will not approach you.
There is another video, “Positive” where when the green light in ON the peopel around me invite me to go to the mall with them. But unfortunetly the video was too long and I could not upload it onto this page.
This shirt was a success but more improvemnets could be made, like diffusing the lights, having the lights at the back as well and applying the same process to a coat.
Conductive Thread (FLORT-000603)
LED Green and Red 3mm (LEDTU-399100) – 2 pieces
CR2032 Coin Battery Holder – (LILYB-008822)
CR2320 Lithium Cells – (BATTG-232000)
Small Alligator wires – (INSTR-000061)