The Panel on Research Ethics has released the newly updated TCPS 2 (2018). The updated policy includes new guidance, topics moved from clinical trials (Chapter 11), clarifications, terminology changes, and corrections. The updated policy is accompanied by Highlights of changes: Summary of revisions in TCPS 2 (2018) and How to Address Material Incidental Findings.
Some key updates include:
- new guidance on research involving communities;
- requiring ethics review for course-based research activities;
- clarification of institutional responsibilities in supporting researchers being legally compelled to disclose confidential participant information;
- clarification of ethics review requirement for pilot studies;
- clarification regarding exemption of research involving information that is publicly available through legislation or regulation or that is in the public domain;
- details on the management of material incidental findings in different circumstances; and
- distinguishing the role of the principal investigator in the context of multi-jurisdictional research.
OCAD University researchers are encouraged to review the updated policy and accompanying documents.