Nick – Project 2 pre-final-write-up

Unfortunately, I failed to foresee one major consequence of my waiting til the weekend to document this project, which is that the equipment rental on the 7th floor is closed. Because the Pico projector is kind of the keystone of my creation, I will not be able to provide final documentation of my 2nd project until Monday morning. For this, I apologize, and I hope that it won’t throw off schedules… For now, here is the link to my second video: http://vimeo.com/40433065 (and the first, since I also experimented with projecting this one and the link has changed since I last posted it: http://vimeo.com/40428843). I will add the images of the projection into objects as soon as I can.

My final thoughts on the project are positive overall. Looking at the work of Dev Harlan was a good jumping off point for me because it gave me something to work against (his perfectly-mapped projections that accentuate the rigid geometry of his structures vs. my organic mixing forms that attempt to disguise and challenge form). While I think that, in the end, the experiment yielded mostly negative results (I found in most cases that the projection had little effect on the perception of geometric form) it was fun to execute and was a good first experience with projecting onto/within objects. Exploring the addition of topography to the surface used in the making of the second video was very exciting, and did in some cases help create an interesting loss of visual reference point when looking at some of the larger paper shapes. Exploring the paper shape construction was something I got unexpectedly invested in and I think, as Marian suggested, I need to try this again using a more rigid material, because the tracing paper tended to sag and bunch, which took away from the projection in some cases. The wood and shower curtain experiment should have been given a little more time (and more careful measurements!) but I think that too has interesting potential and I feel that, if I do pursue this idea to the construction of installations in which people can stand, this would be an excellent way to prototype them. As for the interaction between the dry paint spatters on the paper/shower curtain and the projection, I think the structures worked better when they were free of those little dots, which just look black against the light of the projected video. It is an aesthetic I like, but which doesn’t really make sense with what I was trying to do, unless I really begin to use the spatters as another layer of formal disguise (by trying to “shade” the different faces of the structure in misleading ways, for example).

All in all I think there is a lot potential for extension, and it is a direction in which I’m interested in continuing. I would eventually like to see these videos projected at a high resolution (the pico’s pixellation of my videos was definitely to their detriment) on a larger, tent-sized structure. I’m still not sure if outside projection or from-within is the way to go, or whether a combination will be most effective. Ultimately, I need to play more with getting the right shape, executing it on a large scale, and putting in some time with some more sophisticated projecting technology. From there, I can begin to think of larger applications, such as placing these “video objects” in public spaces (bulging out of a window near eye-level, for example). I’m happy with where the work is taking me and with the exciting new technologies I’m beginning to incorporate into my (previously quite low-tech) practice.

Comments are closed.