In honour of the upcoming Toronto Queer Zine Fair, come to the Zine Library and check out our new display featuring zines exploring queer identity and issues.
Here are some of the highlights:
- Gladys Bentley (of the series The Life and Times of Butch Dykes) tells stories of the life of Gladys Bentley in her time as a gay entertainer in the 20s.
- Asking For It features drawings of men wearing woman’s lingerie in various poses (some provocative and others not).
- I Like Girls: My First Crush explores the excitement and uncertainty of queer women’s first crushes. This issue includes 7 stories as well as thoughtful art and collages throughout.
- Queer Enough contains essays, stories, poems, and art about the challenges that queers in different-gender relationships face. This issue includes articles such as “Queer Enough,” “Without a Map: The gender adventures of a budding tenderqueer,” and more.
- A Queersafe Zine is a super informative zine about sexual health geared toward the queer community with a focus on creating a safe space for information about pertinent topics related to sexuality. It includes illustrations.
This is just a small sampling of the awesome zines from the display, so come check it out to see what else is here!
The Queer Zine Fair takes place on Saturday October 4, beginning at 11:00 am at the United Steelworkers Hall. For more information on the Fair, check out: http://torontoqueerzinefair.tumblr.com/about