Onsite Gallery is OCAD University’s professional gallery and experimental curatorial platform for art, design and new media. Fostering social and cultural transformations, Onsite serves the OCAD U community and the general public.
A completely new Onsite Gallery will open in September 2017 at the centre of OCAD University’s Creative City Campus. The expanded Onsite Gallery will be a stunning 8,000 square-foot space located at 199 Richmond St. W. and will be downtown Toronto’s most talked-about contemporary art and design space.
Reporting to the Programs Coordinator, Onsite Gallery, the Onsite Gallery Student Monitor serves as front-line staff welcoming and informing visitors about exhibitions and public events, supervises galleries and engages with visitors.
The Onsite Gallery Student Monitor will:
- Greet visitors as they enter the gallery and provide information on present and upcoming exhibitions, public events and general gallery and OCAD U information.
- Supervise the entrance and all areas of the exhibitions to enhance visitor experience, encourage conversation and engagement and enforce gallery rules and etiquette.
- Research the exhibiting artists/designers and exhibition themes, prepare and lead thoughtful tours and maintain a comprehensive understanding of the artists/designers and themes in the exhibition to facilitate discussion and meaningful engagement with viewers.
- Track daily attendance and encourage the recording of email addresses for Onsite Gallery’s e-newsletter database, so patrons are aware of upcoming exhibitions and events.
- Ensure all exhibition elements are in proper working order and front reception and gallery areas are clean/tidy. Examine the exhibitions daily to identify if maintenance is needed on artworks, perform corrective action (as appropriate) and notify other staff as needed.
- Perform administrative tasks including writing reports related to gallery attendance and audience response. Replenishes gallery material, such as exhibition brochures, at the front desk and other areas as needed.
- Perform opening and closing duties including: turning on and off the works in the exhibition, keeping front reception tidy and locking all doors.
- Provide staffing assistance for all public programs and events, such as the opening reception, where duties may include: setup and takedown of chairs and tables, serving food, selling drinks and taking photographs.
- Assist with installation and de-installation of exhibitions, as needed, which may include: light lifting and moving of objects, installing hanging material, moving plinths, patch/repair and paint walls and hanging wall labels.
- Attend Student Monitor orientation meeting prior to the opening of an exhibition, and any other meetings as called by the Programs Coordinator or Curator.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Programs Coordinator and senior management.
- Currently enrolled as an OCAD University student
- Interest in contemporary art and design
- Comfortable in a public speaking role
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under general direction and in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; enjoy working with the public
- Must be able to work flexible hours for public event shifts
- Ability to operate audio/visual and office equipment
- Knowledge and comfort using social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr) to assist with Onsite Gallery’s digital presence and promotion
- Smart Serve certified
Duration: early September until December 11, 2017, with possibility of renewing for the following exhibition period
Rate of pay: $12.43/hour – plus 4% in lieu of vacation and 8% in lieu of benefits
Schedule: 1-3 regular weekly shifts to be determined, resulting in between 7.25-19.25 hours/week, depending on availability
Vacancies: 3-4 regular Student Monitor positions; 2-3 Student Monitors for special event assistance and on an as-needed basis
Please submit the following to Linda Columbus, Programs Coordinator, at email@example.com:
- a cover letter
- if applicable, your IWSP eligibility confirmation for the Fall 2017 semester
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m., July 16, 2017.
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.