One of the absolute highlights of my year is to celebrate our student leaders for their excellence outside the classroom by acknowledging their contributions at our annual Student Recognition and Leadership Awards Dinner. It is a joy to celebrate their commitment to equity, advocacy, social justice, student life and fellowship.
This year we are thrilled to let you know that we’ve grown our portfolio of awards and created three new opportunities to recognize students who have given so much of themselves to our community.
In addition to our long-standing awards recognizing Peer Mentors, Student Group Leaders, and students committed to Diversity & Equity, this year we have added an Indigenous Student Leadership Award, an Excellence in Student Leadership Award, and a Student Employee Excellence Award.
- NEW: Indigenous Student Leadership Award
This award recognizes an outstanding Indigenous student who has demonstrated exceptional leadership skills by actively participating in and contributing to the Indigenous student community at OCAD U, exemplifying a commitment to supporting its growth and development.
- NEW: Excellence in Student Leadership Award
This award aims to recognize the outstanding contributions of student leaders across the university in a variety of contexts, including but not limited to representing student perspectives in positions on OCAD U committees, working groups, task forces, governance bodies (such as the Senate or Board of Governors), or through publications, advocacy groups or the Student Union.
- NEW: Student Employee Excellence Award
This award acknowledges the considerable contributions made by OCAD U student employees (monitors) towards the operations of the university by recognizing student employee excellence, achievement, leadership and skills development.
- Peer Mentor Awards acknowledge those Peer Mentors who have made outstanding contributions supporting new and first-year students in helping them build their sense of community.
- The Diversity & Equity Excellence Award for Students acknowledges an outstanding student whose advocacy and leadership promote and advance human rights, equity and social justice on campus.
- The Student Group Leader Award is presented annually to a student group leader who excels, above and beyond in their leadership role by demonstrating outstanding contributions, commitment and support to their group members and the OCAD University community.
All of these awards rely on nominations from the community, so please take a few moments to consider nominating a peer that has influenced your experience at OCAD U. They could win not only this important recognition, but also — a cash prize! The deadline to submit your nomination(s) is 11:59 p.m. Monday, February 25, 2019.
And finally, on behalf of the Campus Life office (who moves mountains to coordinate the nominations intake, selection committees, and to make the dinner and reception happen) I’d like to send a heartfelt thanks for the generous support of our Alumni Association, Alumni Relations office, Financial Aid & Awards, the Imagination Catalyst, Indigenous Student Services, the OCAD Student Union and the Offices of the President and the Vice-President, Academic & Provost. Your contributions make this event possible.