Income Tax Clinics for International Students

Community Volunteer Income Tax Program Logo

OCAD U is hosting two income tax clinics for international students on March 27 and 28. Volunteers from the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) will be on campus to complete your 2018 tax return for you!

Wednesday, March 27, 1 to 4 p.m.
Thursday, March 28, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Room 430, Level 4, 113 McCaul St

How do the clinics work?
You will meet with a trained volunteer who will review your documents, complete a 2018 tax return form for you and submit it to the Canada Revenue Agency electronically.  You will receive a printout confirming that your tax return has been submitted.

Do I need to pay for this service?
No, the CVITP is offered free to international students who have simple tax situations.

How do I know if I am eligible for this service?
Most international students at OCAD U have simple tax situations and will be eligible for the CVITP.

Please note that you are not eligible if:

  • your annual income is over $35,000 (single person) or $45,000 (couple)
  • you have income from rental properties
  • you are self-employed

Do I need to make an appointment?
No, you don’t need to make an appointment. You can drop in on either day.  You may have to wait if the volunteers are busy with other students.

What documents/information should I bring?

 Identification (ID) – bring all of these:

  • OCAD student ID card
  • one piece of government-issued photo ID (for example – your passport)
  • Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Tax Certificates – bring the ones that apply to you:

  • T4 Statement of Remuneration Paid – if you worked in Canada in 2018, your employer is required to give you a T4
  • T2202A Tuition and Enrolment Certificate from 2018– all students receive this certificate (print from myOCADU)
  • T4A certificate – only required if you received a scholarship or bursary from OCAD U in 2018 (print from myOCADU)

Other documents/information:

  • Rent receipts – from your landlord showing the amount of rent you paid each month in Ontario in 2018
  • If you moved to Canada in 2018, be sure you know the date you entered the country.

What if I miss the tax clinics at OCAD U or I want to file tax returns from other years?You can go to another CVITP tax clinic in Toronto for assistance. Check the Canada Revenue Agency’s website for a list of other organizations offering tax clinics. OCAD U’s clinics are only for 2018 tax returns.  If you want to file tax returns from other years, you will need to look for an organization that says they prepare returns for “current and prior years”.

If you have any questions or concerns, contact OCAD U’s International Student Support & Exchange Programs office at