Open Project – Michael Sinn

  • Concept (Idea and what are you creating)
    • I wanted to make a wearable music device similar to the synthesizer  where you would be able to produce sound on your body through a fluid input source, in this case a magnet and a hall effect sensor.  I wanted the device to be very small and to be able to be incorporated into what someone is wearing.
  • Objective (Why are you trying to execute this concept)
    • The reason I decided to use a hall effect sensor for this project is to build upon the exploration journal I had written earlier in the class about the hall effect sensor and how to use it.  I wanted to be able to put it into an actual project and see how effective it could be!  I also wanted to make it small because I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could conceal the device entirely within the band of a wrist watch.
  • Process (Including ideation drawings, images of the work in progress, and videos of the different steps)
    • (Process images can be found in the link below)
    • First I began by sketching out the basic circuit diagram of the project I was trying to make
    • I then took that circuit and modelled it in Fusion 360 and printed the diagram out and attempted to transfer the circuit to a PCB through ironing
    • When this didn’t work, I ended up just drawing the diagram by hand
    • After drawing the diagram onto the PCB and etching it, I programmed the ATTiny412 to play different sounds depending on how far away a magnet was
    • I then attached all of the pieces together onto the PCB
    • Then I took the device and attached it to the wrist watch and put it on and tried it out!
  • Final Project Images (With the wearable being worn!)
    • Unfortunately, the blog space won’t allow me to upload any more images or videos so I’ve included all of my circuit diagrams, final project images and videos as well as the process images in this drive link!
  • Parts List:
    • ATTiny412
    • Hall Effect Sensor
    • Speaker
    • Circuit Board
    • Li-Po Battery
    • Solder
  • Reflections & Next Steps
    • I’m really happy with how this project turned out.  I was able to almost entirely conceal the device within a wrist watch and fully incorporate the device into what someone was wearing.  The device was also very comfortable to wear with it being so small it wasn’t even noticeable, I actually forgot to take it out for a while after filming the trial video! As for next steps, I think that I would like to add in different play modes for the device depending on whether the magnet is facing north or south.  I would also like to make the device able to record different songs or patterns that you create and able to play them back to you after!

DC Motor – Michael Sinn

  • Swatch Name: DC Motor
  • Feature Image (set this in the righthand column)
  • Group number and names of all Team Members: Group 9, Marquessa, Aimee, Emily, Michael
  • Swatch Type: Actuator
  • Description: For my swatch, I decided to make a DC Motor that is almost entirely 3D Printed.  The motor was made by wrapping magnet wire around a motor core and placing it in a housing.  I did have some issues with the final product that will be addressed in the final foot notes.
  • Materials: PLA, 20 Gauge Magnet Wire, Slices of Aluminum Can, Rare earth magnet
  • Tools & Techniques: 3D Printer, Fusion 360(3D modeling software), soldering iron and wrapping magnet wire
  • 3-5 other images or animated gifs that could include:
  • 1 minute (or less) video that shows the Swatch in use: https://ocadu.techsmithrelay.com/jyPc
  • References/Inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p2QTE26VOA
  • Additional Notes: When making the motor, I went through 3 different motor core designs before settling on the one that I used for the final model.  The core of the motor works perfectly and can be used as an electromagnet as is shown in the video posted.  However, I did have issues with finding a material that was able to provide power to the core and keep it rotating in the housing.  I tried various materials such as steel wool, aluminum cans, string with tinfoil wrapped around it and pulled tight along the length of the bottom of the core, but I couldn’t find one that would actually work properly.  I believe that if I had some kind of springy steel that would press into the motor core where it is fed power hard enough to keep the motor core in place and the power continuously flowing, but not hard enough to stop the rotation, then that would be ideal, but I could not find any such material in my home or at stores I went to.  Overall, I did have a lot of fun with this project and am going to keep at it in my free time because I think that it would be very cool to get it working properly!

Colour Battle

  • Video / Process: https://ocadu.techsmithrelay.com/Lwep
  • Working links: https://editor.p5js.org/MichaelSinn/sketches/TeEPR1c4s
  • Artist statement: For this assignment, I wanted to create a pseudo simulation.  What I ended up doing was creating a live representation of growing “civilizations”.  Each civilization is represented by a colour, either white, green, blue or red.  These civilizations are randomly placed throughout the map.  Each turn, each civilization grows and converts tiles around it to their own colour.  This continues until the entire map is one colour.