We’re excited to invite you to the first-ever alumni network event!
This is an opportunity for our talented, diverse and amazing SFI community members to:
- Promote work and skills: MRPs, research and ongoing projects welcome — tell us what you’re up to and where SFI has taken your career
- Learn from one another’s expertise and experiences: Run a workshop or info session to teach a skill or method relevant to our field
- Co-create and co-define the purpose of the network: Help inform the network’s purpose and vision, and tell us how this community will best serve your needs today and in the future
- Meet other people in the community: Professional networking opportunities, and an optional after-party to talk shop or make new connections.
In the last few months many of you responded to a survey about what is important to you! Your feedback combined with many informal conversations with current students and grads and many meetings of the network organizing team is what led to the creation of this event.
Our goal is for this to be the launchpad for more consistently valuable and uniquely “SFI” events – of which this will be the first!
Come for the interesting points of view, connection with other SFIers, and one more “presentation day.” Stay to contribute your efforts and ideas to the “SFI-ing” of the future of the alumni network.
(Got something to share? Submit your proposal before midnight on Sunday, October 15: details below!)
Details for the Alumni Network Event
Saturday, November 4th, 2017
RCA 510 and 514
10am to 5pm (doors open at 9:30am), followed by an optional after-party at a local bar (venue TBC)
$20 early bird pricing if you sign up before Friday, October 20th.
$25 after Oct 20th – so sign up early!!!
The price covers coffee, lunch, and supplies for the day.
Call for Proposals
We’re looking for 30 or 45-minute presentations, workshops, panel discussions, or any other content type that you’d like to bring to the network launch.
We’re also looking for lightning talks that range in 3-5 mins for those with shorter but interesting pitches to share.
Here are some of the really interesting topics we’ve received so far:
- Platform design: a case study looking at how platform design can be applied to OCAD University
- Ethical parameters for AI: a dialogue about constraints or ethical boundaries for AI
- An SFI podcast: an open platform for SFI voices.
Please sign up here to pitch a session! Deadline to submit is Oct 15th at midnight!
If you have any questions about your proposal please email Ziyan at firstname.lastname@example.org
A Final Thought For You to Build On:
In February of this year, the first email mentioning the intention of building this version of the alumni network was sent. It contained this sentiment:
- What better tool to organize for impact, perhaps a new kind of impact, in the face of these now pressing global changes than through this network? We’re trained in the tools for change and innovation, we’re multidisciplinary and future-oriented with growing tolerances for ambiguity, and we’re practicing across a diverse representation of competencies and verticals. Not to mention there’s a pretty solid percentage of us that like each other. ;)
The intention of the event resonates with this idea and we’re looking forward to cultivating it with you further on the 4th!