I hope you are doing well and enjoying your week so far. My name is Jamelie Bachaalani, and I am the Administrative Assistant at the John and Maggie Mitchell Art Gallery, located within MacEwan University in Edmonton, Alberta. We are a public gallery committed to featuring diverse artistic and curatorial perspectives, and supporting critical discourses in contemporary art. We are currently accepting submissions for our 2020 Summer Residency Program that will provide individual artists/artist collectives with the space and time to initiate or further a body of work that connects and engages with local communities.
We would love if you could share our call for submissions with your network so it can reach as many artists as possible – it’s a great opportunity for artists to develop their professional work, develop relationships in Edmonton, and facilitate conversation. Previous artists in residence at the MAG have included Halie Finney (Edmonton), Florence Yee (Toronto), and Olivia Chow (Hong Kong). More details are below:
- Application deadline is March 1 and the residency runs for 4 – 6 weeks between May 15 – August 15
- This program is open to both Canadian and international artists, and we strongly encourage those with interdisciplinary, non-traditional practices to apply
- The MAG summer residency program covers return travel to and from the residency, accommodation, a presentation/workshop fee, and over 1200 square feet of studio space
- Artists with families are invited to apply and children or spouses will be accommodated in housing arrangements
- Applications must include a proposal for a workshop, presentation, or participatory dimension that the applicant intends to present/facilitate during the residency. Appropriate fees according to the CARFAC fee schedule will be paid.
Those interested in learning more and/or applying can do so via the MAG website: www.macewan.ca/MitchellArtGallery
Any questions can be sent to Carolyn Jervis or myself at firstname.lastname@example.org