Organizational Unit: Digital Technologies Research Centre
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA’S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council (NRC) is the Government of Canada’s largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development, and fulfilling government mandates.
The NRC’s Digital Technologies Research Centre make digital technologies smarter and more intuitive for Canadians and Canadian businesses by exploring uses of data and information in innovative and meaningful ways to solve real problems. Our focus is advanced analytics, computer vision, natural language processing and artificial intelligence technologies.
Opportunity: Design for Our Times Student Assistant – Graduate Student OCAD U
Employed by the National Research Council and working directly with Dr. Sara Diamond in a team with an undergraduate student, the OCAD University graduate student will assist Dr. Diamond in the design and delivery of a four-part Design for Our Times series. The series acquaints NRC scientists and staff with an understanding of how design can provide value to research and innovation. Design for our Times explores contemporary practices and current issues in design, design thinking, computational design, and generative design. The OCAD U graduate student will provide background research, and support curriculum development and delivery, case study exploration and as appropriate group facilitation.
Hours of Work: 19 hours/week (Part-time assignment)
Length of Term: This is a 4 month work term starting on March 1, 2021 until July 12, 2021.
Preferred Education level: University Masters (1st or 2nd year) for example in Strategic Foresight, Digital Futures, Inclusive Design or other programs
Experience with the following:
· Rounded understanding of contemporary design practices and debates
· Facility with design thinking and strategic foresight.
· Knowledge of computational design.
· Excellent oral and written communications skills.
· Excellent graphic design skills.
· Experience in facilitating group discussion.
· Experience with tools such as Jamboard or other collaborative software.
· Demonstrates a high level of organization and time management skills
· Demonstrates great attention to detail, quality, and accuracy
· Ability to take initiative to complete tasks and develop solutions
Who can apply?
You are eligible for the NRC Student Employment Program if:
– You attend a Canadian university/college – OCAD University
– You possess a minimum “B” academic average or equivalent (preference may be given to candidates with a “B+” academic average).
– You are a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada. Additionally, foreign national students who meet the eligibility requirements, are studying in recognized and eligible Canadian educational institution and possess a valid Work Permit may also apply. For more detailed requirements and information on this possibility, please refer to the information found at Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Application Process: This position is open to OCAD U students. Please send an email with two paragraphs detailing your interest in the role, an up-to-date C.V. or bio that indicates your experience and has links to or includes portfolio. Please provide your current year of study, and semester, and two references. If offered the position you will be required to provide a transcript indicating your year and semesters of study. Send application to: email@example.com
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.
Deadline: February 17, 2021 or until candidate found.
– From $897 to $1274 per week (37.5 hrs), prorated in accordance with your assigned work week.
– Salaries are determined based on the student’s number of completed semesters or years of studies.
Notes: The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.