Art Camp 2016 brings together 14 emerging artists from OCAD University and Ryerson University to build community and create art. This opportunity is open to artists in their 2nd year of study through to recent graduates (up to 2 years post-graduation) who are enrolled/alumni from a program within OCAD U’s Faculty of Art, Indigenous Visual Culture or Ryerson’s School of Image Arts. Participants will be selected through an application process in May 2016 that is based on artistic merit, availability and interest in collaboration.
Working alongside faculty supervisors Robyn Cumming (Ryerson University), Marc Losier, Jennifer Long & Jennie Suddick (OCAD U), the selected artists will create a group exhibition at Ryerson University’s off-site gallery Ryerson Artspace at the Gladstone Hotel in October 2016. Participating in the residency will involve June access to OCAD U’s Photography Production Facilities, professional practice workshops, studio visits, talks, film screenings, brainstorming sessions, critiques and learning new artistic skills from June to October 2016. Note: The level of Photo studio access will vary depending on the artist’s familiarity with photography.
Residency Sessions: Participants should be available for the following sessions:
- Fri, May 27th 5-10pm: Welcome Dinner
- Optional: Wed, June 1, 9:30-11: Intro to OCAD U Photography Studio Facilities
- Wed, June 8, 15, 22 & 29, 9:30 am-3:00 pm
- Wed, July 6, 13, 20 & 27, 9:30 am-3:00 pm
- Optional: Mon, July 25: Fort building with Jennie Suddick at the Gardiner Museum
- Wed, Aug 3, 17, 24, 9:30 am-3:00 pm
- Sat, Sept 17, 24, 10:00 am-3:00 pm
- Updates on October dates, evening summer screenings, student honorariums, and artistic skills workshops will be given on our Facebook Call for Submissions!
How to Apply: In a Dropbox link or single PDF document, include the following:
- Name, Email address, University & Program of Study
- The year of study you will be entering in Sept 2016 / year of graduation
- Confirmation of your availability on the above dates (some exceptions can be granted)
- Note: past participants are encouraged to apply, but preference will be given to new applicants.
A letter of Intent expressing your interest in this residency and what inspires your practice. (max. 400 words)
Portfolio of work
- Include 10 images from 2 to 3 different series. If your work is time-based, please contact Jennifer Long at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss options.
- Images should be JPG format, approximately 8”x10”, at 72 dpi
- Include an image credit under each visual detailing the title, year, medium and scale or provide an accompanying image list.
Email the completed PDF or Dropbox link to email@example.com before May 17th, 11:59pm (midnight). A jury will be struck to review the applications and applicants will be notified by May 20th of their acceptance.
QUESTIONS: Jennifer Long – firstname.lastname@example.org or Robyn Cumming – email@example.com
For more info, check out our Facebook call!